Bradley Historical Society 
 Churches

Click on images for larger view.

Home         Previous

St Joseph Catholic


Old Church

New Church 1962

Fr. William Hackett, the St. Patrick Church pastor in Kankakee , established a mission church in Bradley dedicated to St. Joseph, the patron saint of workers, in 1900. Four years later, Chicago's archbishop James Edward Quigley elevated the mission to a parish. Several parishioners were instrumental in obtaining Fr. Joseph Avila Milot as first resident pastor. The parish census included 136 families. The first Catholic services were held in Umstead Hall on West Broadway. Services then were moved to the vacant Baptist church building at 148 North Center Avenue. On January 27, 1907, a new St. Joseph church building was dedicated. It was 50 feet wide and 80 feet long and served as the church and the rectory. A longer history

In 1923 Fr. Harris A. Darche became the sixth pastor of St. Joseph Church. He remained pastor until his death in April 1937. Darche served as a chaplain in World War I with the U.S. Marines, in the 2nd Infantry Division and engaged in three campaigns. For his valor, he received the Legion of Honor, the French Cross, the Navy Cross, and the Campaign Medal with three campaign bars.



Altar 1975


1979


Fr Darche & Tony R. repairing pews


Holy Name Society 1940's

 

Methodist

The first religious service held in this North Kankakee Wesley United Methodist Church at
196 North Center Avenue was on June 4, 1893. Shortly before October 1957, the congregation
had moved to a new building. St. Joseph Church bought the old church and used it for classrooms
until 1964.



United Brethren

On May 3, 1893, The United Brethren from Altorff bought lot No. 1 in block 52 at 212 South
Cleveland Avenue in North Kankakee and began work on their new building. In time, the
United Brethren became the present day Bradley Evangelical United Methodist Church.
In 1917 the congregation buys property at 147 S Center Ave and the church building is put
on rollers and moved to the new location.

CONTACT BHS:
   Email -  bradleyhist@gmail.com
   Phone -  815-936-5149 (village hall)
   Address - Bradley Historical Society   147 S. Michigan Ave.    Bradley, IL 60915